Student and Family Support
Students and family members might like to access counselling support outside of OLSH, (e.g. during school holidays). Below are contact details of some agencies which provide support. This list is not exhaustive, but it can provide a first point of call. The College ’s Counsellors are able to make recommendations and can be contacted by phoning any OLSH campus.
General Counselling and Support
6 Hartley Street
Phone: +61 8 8958 2400
* CatholicCare is a social services agency of the Catholic Diocese of Darwin. CatholicCare provides a variety of counselling support services for individuals, parents and children, and couples.
Headspace, Alice Springs
5/5 Hartley Street (opposite Catholic Church)
Phone: +61 8 8958 4544
* Headspace is a youth mental health organisation that provides FREE and CONFIDENTIAL mental, physical and sexual health services to young people aged 12 to 25. Young people can come to Headspace for a range of reasons like feeling sad or worried, needing to talk to someone, concerned about alcohol and other drug use or needing medical advice.
* Online chat services are available after hours (9am to 1am 7 days). Go to:
21 Newland Street
Phone: +61 8 8952 5899
* Holyoake’s primary focus is support and confidential counselling for people affected directly or indirectly by alcohol and other drugs, gambling or other dependent behaviours. Counselling and support for OLSH students is free of charge.
Old Post Office Building and Building next to Mad Harry’s
5/11 Railway Terrace
Phone: +61 8 8950 4100
* Provides general counselling services for adults and children. Family Dispute Resolution and support for separating parents and their children.
Central Australian Aboriginal Congress - free and confidential services for Aboriginal people
Congress Youth Outreach Team (support for 12 to 25 year olds)
Phone: +61 8 8958 3635 (Coordinator)
Community Well Being Team (support for over 25 year olds)
Targeted Family Support Services
Safe and Sober Support Services
14 Leichhardt Tce (Old Imparja Building)
Phone: +61 8 8959 4750
Private Psychologists / Counsellors
There are a number of private psychologists and counsellors available and listed in the yellow pages. However the best way to access their services is to seek a referral from your GP and receive the Medicare rebate.
Mental Health / Crisis Intervention
Central Australia Mental Health Service
Child and Youth Team
Phone: +61 8 8951 5950 or 1800 628 288
* Provides assessment (diagnosis), interventions, treatment, referral and support to people with a mental illness or who are experiencing severe emotional distress. In the case of an emergency the Crisis Assessment Team is available to provide crisis support 24 hours each and every day via the hospital Emergency Department or hospital switch. Phone: +61 88951 7777
Mental Illness Fellowship
4-5/58 Reg Harris Lane
Phone: +61 8 8953 1467
* Support is available to children (aded 4 to 18 years) who are either at reisk of developing a mental illness or who are suffering with stress, anxiety and depression, etc.
Child Protection Reporting
Phone: 1800 700 250
Telephone / Online Support
Phone: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service provides free nationwide professional telephone and online counselling for anyone affected by suicide.
Phone: 1300 659 467
Parentline - 1300 30 1300
Kids Helpline - 1800 55 1800
Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636